The Gumtree Pets section is to help the community find good, safe, caring homes for pets. All ads placed in the Gumtree Pets section must comply with the Gumtree Pets Code of Practice
Failure to comply with the Code of Practice will result in the removal of the infringing ad and could result in user restrictions.
This section is NOT intended to facilitate uncontrolled breeding, irresponsible commercial pet trading, trade of dogs or any other animal for the purpose of fighting or stud services. Any ads suspected of this kind of activity will be removed.
Users are responsible for adhering to the applicable conditions in relation to buying, selling or listing of your ad on Gumtree.
Gumtree encourages, where possible, the adoption of pets and would encourage all pet owners to have their animals desexed and micro-chipped. For further tips and advice on responsible pet ownership, please see the link below for Gumtree Guide to Responsible Pet Ownership
An ongoing problem with the pet industry is puppy mills and these are breeders who are breeding a wide variety of dogs. This is perfectly legal (as long as the cages are of a certain size and kept clean) however we cannot determine this from a simple ad that is posted on Gumtree. This is why we believe it's important for pet adopters/buyers/sellers to read our code of practice, responsible pet ownership and policies to identify and report non compliant pet owners to Gumtree and relevant authorities.
In our continuous commitment to animal rights and responsible pet ownership, we have made the following changes to clarify our Pet policies. Some recent changes were implemented as the result of community suggestions.
Policies for ALL posters:
Dogs We do not allow the advertisement of dogs on Gumtree.
Ownership of Gumtree.ie has recently changed. With this change, we have made the decision to suspend dog advertisements. Having worked with animal welfare organisations, and in light of unprecedented demand, we believe this is the best decision for our platform and our users. We will continue to work hard with animal welfare bodies to find the best possible solutions to maximise transparency and protect animal welfare when it comes to the advertisement of dogs online.
Gumtree is committed to the highest standards of transparency and animal welfare.
- Pets put up for adoption/sale on Gumtree must be vaccinated and vet checked
- Anyone selling or supplying six or more pet animals in a year must register with the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine
- The animals have to be of a certain age before they are adoptable:
- Cats must be at least 8 weeks old
- Rabbits must be at least 6 weeks old
- Guinea Pigs, mice and rats must be at least 4 weeks old
- Birds: should have all of their feathers and be feeding self sufficiently.
- No holding deposits allowed
- Same females should not be made to breed more than once a year, this is considered unhealthy
- Animals cannot be swapped or advertised as free on Gumtree.