Guidelines for trading during the Corona-virus crisis:
In light of increasing concern about the spread of the Corona-virus, we are keeping a close eye on government regulations and guidelines to keep our community safe. The prices of goods listed on Gumtree are set by individual sellers and reflect the supply and demand of a particular product.
Unlike online retailers, we do not offer products ourselves, and do not monetize any transactions that take place on our platform.
Based on user feedback, and to curb pricing practices that run counter to the community-minded spirit of Gumtree, we will remove ads if they are in conflict with our general terms (ads with clear excessive pricing or very clearly untrue health claims such as “virus mask”).
We will continue to monitor the evolving situation and quickly remove any listing in For Sale that mentions COVID-19 or coronavirus in the title or description.
You can help
Please help us to keep an eye out for ads that feature false medical claims or excessive pricing and flag them accordingly by clicking on the Report Ad button on the bottom of ads.
Other than that, it’s business as usual for us. Many of the small businesses using Gumtree depend on the community to keep their doors open and staff employed, which is why we encourage supporting SMEs in a safe and responsible manner.
Remember buying and selling within the Gumtree community allows for isolated viewing and reduced contact in large retail environments.
If you have any concerns or questions, please visit www.gov.ie/en/organisation/department-of-health/, the official Depart of Health website.
If you see anything that concerns you on Gumtree, please contact us at our helpdesk. We will respond within 24 hours.
Meeting up to Trade
Please consider these recommendations:
- If you are selling an item share as many relevant quality photos as possible to ensure buyers are clear about all features of the item. Exchange as much information as possible online to make trading face to face a little quicker.
- If you are buying an item ask questions, request extra details or photos via the Gumtree message centre / app to make trading face to face a little quicker.
- Before you exchange any items, please clean all surfaces with regular household cleaners, such as disinfectant.
- As per messages from health experts, keep physical contact to a minimum. Switch the traditional handshake for a “footshake” or “elbow bump”, or even just a wave.
- As per advice from the WHO, please continue to practice frequent hand hygiene and coughing and sneezing etiquette. Cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand. Dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible and wash your hands afterwards.